DOMAIN REGISTRATION PROCEDURES
The cost of a domain name is $100.00 for the first two years and $50.00 for each subsequent year.
We are currently only registering second level domains in the .COM top level domain . There is currently a plan to expand the domain name space with an additional seven top level domains however, this will not be in effect until the second quarter of 1998. We will update this page as these changes take affect.
DO NOT USE REGISTRATION SERVICES LIKE INTERNIC.COMThese services will register the domain while charging excessive fees ($250.00) for their services. INTERNIC.COM is NOT associated with the InterNIC (rs.internic.net). They are preying on people who enter the wrong URL. The US Federal Trade Commission is trying to stop this practice. For more information about this see the FTC press release on the topic.
To register a domain for use by Pathfinder This process requires several days to complete. Please allow as much lead time as possible when requesting domains.
Domain names must adhere to the following rules.
1. Check the whois listing to verify that the domain is available. You can also check for the availability of a domain at the InterNIC whois page.
- The only characters allowed in a domain name are letters, digits and the dash (-).
- Domain names are not case sensitive (pathfinder.com = PATHFINDER.COM)
- Domain names cannot exceed 26 characters including the .COM
- A domain name cannot begin or end with a dash.
DO NOT enter the WWW. You only need to register the DOMAIN.COM (i.e. PATHFINDER.COM not WWW.PATHFINDER.COM).2. Send an e-mail to Stuart Mantel requesting that the domain be registered. In the e-mail please include:
If the utility returns a No Match message the domain is available for registration. If the domain is not available, whois will return a page similar to:
- Time Inc., New Media PATHFINDER-DOM
- 1251 AVENUE OF THE AMERICAS
- NEW YORK, NY 10020
- Domain Name: PATHFINDER.COM
- Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
- Operations Group, Pathfinder Network PNO4 hostmaster@PATHFINDER.COM
- 212 522 9565
- Billing Contact:
- Mantel, Stuart SM1449 smantel@PATHFINDER.COM
- 212-522-9918 (FAX) 212-522-9514
- Record last updated on 27-Aug-97.
- Record created on 19-Oct-93.
- Database last updated on 16-Oct-97 06:07:47 EDT.
- Domain servers in listed order:
- NS.PATHFINDER.COM 126.96.36.199
- NS2.PATHFINDER.COM 188.8.131.52
3. When the registration has been completed (usually 2 working days), you will receive an e-mail confirming the domain.
- The initiative (Mass, Commerce, Title Development, Syndication, Custom Publishing, Niche, Ad Marketing etc.)
- The title (Time, Life, People, etc.) that will be using the domain.
- The page that the domain should point to.. If the page is not known, that information can be supplied latter.
4. It usually will require another 3 business days to complete the internal configurations required to begin serving the new domain to the public. When this is done, you will be receiving another e-mail.
To see a listing of domains controled by Pathfinder click here.
Questions or comments should be directed to Stuart Mantel (email@example.com) phone: 212-522-9918.